Friday, March 28, 2008

Popeye, Elvis or Bell's Palsy???

This is the night before the "episode" began... smiling so sweetly. The pictures below are of the Bell's Palsy.


Caleb woke up Tuesday morning with the inability to move the left side of his face. Of course I freaked out thinking he had some kind of a stroke and took him into the ER. Turns out that Caleb is not Elvis or even Popeye but he does have Bell's Palsy- where the facial nerve under the ear swells causing temporary paralysis. It happened because of his ear infections. The experts say that it could last anywere from 1 week to a few months... we are hoping only a week!! He can't nurse too well as he can't close his mouth fully around the milk jug. Poor guy!! I have to keep putting eye drops in the left eye so it doesn't dry out being that he can't fully close that eye. I guess the biggest risk with Bell's is the eye drying out and the cornea getting damaged causing vision loss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww poor guy! I'm sure that's really stressful for you to go through! I hope he gets to feeling better soon!!

Matt and Kristi said...

What a bummer! Caleb has gone through so much in his 9 months! Good thing he has such a good momma to take care of him! Say hello to him from Charlotte!

Team Davis said...

How awful! I'm sure glad it wasn't worse and that he will heal. My friend actually ended up getting that this year after giving birth. She recovered in about a month.